About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
A long-time Toronto-area Actor and Singer, Jeff Madden is now focusing on Teaching acting and singing in the GTA. Jeff starred as "Frankie Valli" in both the Toronto and Australian productions of JERSEY BOYS, winning the DORA award for outstanding performance in a musical by a male actor. Jeff is busy back at school, getting his MEd at U of T's OISE.

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Back at Shaw

I can now officially report that I will be back at the Shaw Festival next year, for what will be my eighth consecutive season. I begin rehearsals on February 18th (an early start), and will end my run October 5th (three weeks sooner than normal). And, if you like musicals, and if you like seeing your man Jeffy in them, Oh Boy, you are in luck! Next year I might be in three of them!!!

Wonderful Town is the big show on the Festival Theatre stage, previewing April 1st, opening May 24th and running till October 5th. This is a zippy, entertaining, old fashioned musical comedy, which concerns the fates of two sisters from small town USA arriving in New York City to pursue their dreams. It’s based on the novel and film “My Sister Eileen” and features a score by Leonard Bernstein. I’m playing Eileen. Well, not really. I have a nice little part though, Frank, a sweet young guy smitten with one of the leads (Yes, for those of you keeping score, I was Frank in last year’s show too, a sweet young guy smitten with one of the leads... but I digress...) By the way, on the left of that photo, that really blurry guy is me. It took a lot of prep to find my inner blur, you know.

A Little Night Music is the smaller show on the Courthouse Stage, previewing June 1st, opening July 4th, and running till October 4th. This beautifully artistic show concerns the fates of three mismatched couples weekending in the country under Sweden’s mysterious Midnight Sun. Based on Ingmar Bergman’s film, this is one of Stephen Sondheim’s greatest shows. I have an interesting part, playing one of five story-teller chorus members, facilitating and commenting on the story through song. (Ok, I’m a chorus boy. Whatever. Moving on...)


And speaking of Sondheim, the Shaw is presenting another of his shows, Follies: In Concert, for only four performances August 29th, September 12th , 27th and October 4th. I may be involved in this one too, if I have any voice left. More info on that show to come.


All of this means, I will be rehearsing virtually the entire season. Hooray!!! What, and quit showbiz??? I'm Taking the Wheel, after all. Check the Shaw's great website for tonnes of useful information... www.shawfest.com

No comments: