About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
A long-time Toronto-area Actor and Singer, Jeff Madden is now focusing on Teaching acting and singing in the GTA. Jeff starred as "Frankie Valli" in both the Toronto and Australian productions of JERSEY BOYS, winning the DORA award for outstanding performance in a musical by a male actor. Jeff is busy back at school, getting his MEd at U of T's OISE.

Monday, February 9, 2009

“Hi. I’m Frankie Valli. I have bronchitis."

“Hi. I’m Frankie Valli. I have bronchitis. Nice to meet you. No, I won’t be doing the show tonight. You wouldn’t want to hear ‘Pop Hits Sung By Wild Dogs’, would you? Didn’t think so. I’ll be home “resting”, with my 2-year old Sydney and her ear infection, my 10-month old Emily and her fever of 102F, and my wife Christine who had somehow managed to keep illness at bay – for now.”

This past week has been, well, "such a god-damnned rollercoaster". I came down with a nasty upper-respiratory infection and was out of the show Tuesday through Friday. To those of you who bought tickets hoping to see me - including some of my good friends - I apologize with all my heart. It really tears me up, letting you all down like that.

SOME CONTEXT, PLEASE
OK – here’s some context. This has been one of the coldest, harshest winters I can remember here in Toronto. We started rehearsing like mad November 1st, and really didn’t let up until just a week or two ago, after the “Media Opening”. In that time, we have had lots of bugs rip through the company – mostly colds, but some sinus and bronchial infections too. Lots of people worked through it (bringing the bug in to work to share with everybody), and some called in sick. I mean, everyone I talked to - family, friends, their colleagues at work – everyone has been sick with something.

Well, "Jersey Boys - Toronto" was no exception. Last week, Bryan Hindle, our Joe Pesci ("yeah, that Joe Pesci") was out the whole week with bronchitis. Then, last Saturday night, Jeremy Kushnier (our incredible Tommy Devito) was starting to come down with something. And after the show, I noticed some unusual tightness in my upper chest – the intercostal muscles, the ones between the ribs. I did the show Sunday, and with the exception of a note or two, I was very happy with it. We had a couple drinks after the show, as is our Sunday tradition, and I went home.

Monday afternoon, I was sitting on the floor playing blocks with the kids, and when I stood up I saw stars. Right there, I knew something wasn’t right. I started slamming back the vitamin C and zinc lozenges, along with a double dose of denial. “I’m not sick, I’m Frankie Valli. I can sing really high. I don’t get sick.” Whatever…

TUESDAY
Tuesday I began my regular pre-show warm-up routine (the subject of another blog post, I think) by riding an exercise bike for 15 minutes and vocalizing for 15 minutes. I quickly followed that with 10 minutes of panicking. My voice was not responding. The falsetto was fine, the chest voice was fine, but it was like everything in the middle was out of place.

I called my Stage Manager Cindy to inform her of the situation, and we set up a music rehearsal with our conductor Liz Baird for 6:30pm. Jeremy had already called out, his illness in full force. Grant Tilly, one of our awesome Swings (yes, the guy who filled in as Bob Gaudio for two weeks) would be in as Tommy for his first time ever.

Denial in full force, I got in the car and drove to work early. But, as I continued to warm up there, certain notes just could not be relied upon. Specifically, it was the top notes of my chest voice – F#, G, G#, A - that were uncharacteristically weak. I had good energy, and at the time I felt I could have gone on. Sick or not, I really wanted to do the show. But, Cindy and Liz asked me not to do the show, in hopes that I’d recover over night and be back strong Wednesday. After some discussion, I reluctantly agreed. My awesome alternate, Adrian Marchuk, would go on in my place.

Looking back at it now, I know they were absolutely right. If the role wasn’t so god-damned impossibly freakin’ hard to sing, it wouldn’t be a big deal – you could just get out there and work through it. We’ve all had colds and had to do a show – it’s no big deal, you just proceed carefully, you pace yourself through your scenes and songs and Bob’s your Uncle. Well, that ain’t gonna cut it here.

You see, those four weakened notes are needed throughout the show, but especially during the middle of Act 2. In the span of about 20 minutes, I have to sing all of the following songs, which rely heavily on those four notes: “Beggin’”, “Let’s Hang On”, “Bye Bye Baby”, “MaryAnne”, “Can’t Take My Eyes Off Of You”, “Workin’ My Way Back To You”. And to make matters worse, this is when Frankie begins to narrate the show. With all those monologues and scenes between those songs, there’s no time to rest the voice, no time to even run off-stage for water.

Looking back, had I gone on, the potential for disaster was actually quite high. But, at the time, I was pissed. No, not at Cindy and Liz. Just pissed - at myself maybe, for getting sick in the first place. Stupid, I know. We’re human. We all get sick. But, I love doing this show so much, I … I actually can not describe the joy it brings me. Yet, there I was, packing up and going home at 7pm on a show night, just as my cast-mates were showing up to work. I quickly raced out, knowing that if I had to explain myself, I would blow my cool. I wanted to keep the tears at bay, just below the surface.

WEDNESDAY
So, Wednesday comes. Back in to the show, right? Hardly. I’m way worse. This thing is coming, not going. OK – denial is done. Time to get serious. I get me to a walk-in clinic, and take me some drugs. And I get some great help from a couple of friends whom I rely upon for support… Katie Agresta, my vocal instructor and general Guru (she coaches all the Frankie’s in all the Jersey Boys companies) and Joesph Leo Bwarie, the Frankie from the US Tour. They've both been there before, and were able to offer lots of practical advice to help my voice recover as fast as possible so that I can get back into the show.

On top of the vitamin C, zinc lozenges, Cold FX, and chicken soup, Katie and Joseph gave me a list of Homeopathic tinctures, specific herbs, fruits and vegetables, and homemade teas to get me back to normal. And Katie also gave me a series of vocal exercises to help get the lymphatic system draining. But, most of all, they gave me emotional support. All the Frankie’s have had to deal with this at one point or another. They told me it was not the end of the world to miss some shows.

PROVOCATIVE BLANKET STATEMENT
The role of Frankie Valli may be the single hardest role in musical theatre to sing. (This would make a great debate, actually – yet another blog post?). Katie says to me, ‘Name me another role where someone has to sing 25 songs? 25 Pop-Rock songs? In that crazy range. Fahgittabowdit.’ (OK – I don't think she said 'fahgittabowdit' – I just wanted you all to get that she's from New York.)

Now, I’m not saying this to toot my own horn – believe me. I think it’s just a fact of nature. Either you have the type of voice and the technical skill to constantly manouver from a low C to a soprano F – sometimes in the space of two bars of music – or you don’t. In order for me to sing this role, I know I need to be virtually 100%, plain and simple.

THURSDAY
Thursday comes. I’m still not better. Getting the rest I need at home is proving almost impossible. To make matter’s worse, a trip to the doctor reveals that Sydney’s bad cold has become an ear infection. Oh, and Emily has now started running a fever. Hoo-ray! Our entire condo is a cesspool of microorganisms. It never ends! This is me, folks, resting. Right...

FRIDAY
Friday morning. I’m actually starting to feel almost normal. I think, “OK – I’m Back!” I’m all excited for my voice lesson with Katie, and within 30 seconds she says, “Oh well, not today”. WTF? After a few more minutes of vocalizing, I stop rationalizing and start to hear what it is she's hearing. She’s right. I’m basically back to where I was Tuesday night – sounding good except for those three or four shaky money notes. At least it’s progress. Maybe tomorrow.

SATURDAY
Tomorrow comes and there’s more improvement. Katie and I have another session "and then, she lays it on me". She says, ‘I’d prefer it if you'd wait another day, but if you had to, I think you could do the show tonight.’ Then, she adds ‘But, if you do, you may not be able to sing the show tomorrow.’ This lands with a thud. I call my stage manager.

Cindy strongly encourages me to do the show Saturday night. You see, now Matthew Brown (our Barry Belson) is sick and out of the show, meaning one of our other Swings Aaron MacKenzie (who went on as Frankie Wednesday night and is the only other Frankie understudy ready right now) has to go on for him. Since Mr. Marchuk is doing today's matinee and the company is extremely reluctant to have any Frankie do two shows in one day, it makes it a no brainer. I’m going back in.

SHOWTIME
By showtime, I feel about 90%. But I was nervous. Really nervous. Like, first run-through nervous. You see, I was in uncharted territory. I had no idea how my voice would hold up for 2.5 hours. I’d already sung about 45 minutes to test it out, and I knew I would tire easier than normal. The question was, when? And when it happens, what do I do?

As the opening number is playing, backstage I have a moment of clarity. Just breathe. That’s all. (No, not the Faith Hill song). Breathe, and be present. Give what I had to give. Nothing more.

And sure enough, holding back slightly here and there, I was able to get through the tough spots in Act 1 without noticeably screwing up. (Phew.) But in the scary Act 2? Same approach, same philosophy, same result… except for the sandpaper start to “Can’t Take” (I actually sounded like Tom Waits on the first three notes), and a couple really pitchy notes in “Working My Way…” (I heard someone ask ‘was that Bette Midler?’) I managed to get through it.

In the wings after the blackout, I was incredibly relieved! In fact, I was so relieved, I nearly forgot to come out for the curtain call. Then, in the Bows (the reprise of “Oh What A Night”) I started losing focus and screwed up my choreo as bad as I’ve ever done it. Oh well! “I’m Frankie Valli – I can sing really high! Who cares how I dance???” Whatever…

The Sunday matinee was even better, which was awfully nice. That Sunday post-show drink tasted very good. I love my job so much. I think I might go crazy if I couldn’t do it anymore. But at the end of the week, it sure is nice to hang out with the wife and kids all day… even though Christine is now sick as a dog, Emily’s got the ear infection, and Sydney’s… aw, you get the picture.

YOUR TURN
So, now it's your turn:
Anyone got stories of preforming while sick?
Anyone want to read how I get ready/warm-up before a show?
Anyone want to add their two cents to my assertion that Frankie may be the hardest role to sing in the musical theatre cannon?
Your comments are greatly appreciated.

Go on, click the COMMENT link just below, type away in the blue box on the right, sign your name if you like, click the circle next to ANONYMOUS, click the PUBLISH button and you're done.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, would love to hear how you warm up before the show!!! Hope the Kids are doing better, and I would agree that Frankie Valli is probably a difficult role for anyone to sing.

Anonymous said...

It must be so frustrating to lose your voice in your situation. Bet everyone in the company (and audience) was thrilled when you made it back. Really enjoy reading all your blogs. They are written with just honesty and humour. Would love to hear about your warm up routine and anything else you'd care to write. Stay healthy and hope the family is doing the same. P.S. Your girls are adorable.

Anonymous said...

How you managed to maintain your sense of humor (you're a funny dude!)in the midst of a crisis and illness is incredible to me. I become a grouchy hermit when I get even just the sniffles. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

I ditto the other 3 comments completely: I'd love to hear your warm-up/lymph draining exercises, I think if you ever give up singing you'll definitely be a writer, (but please! continue to do both) and I love the way your mind works and hearing all about the inner process...xoxo A/C

The Skeptical Tourist said...

Oh Yeah? I could sing it. Just no one ever asked me. Maybe I'll be Frankie in the all-girl Northern Manitoba touring company.
I do wish you'd gone on and sang the Faith Hill song. In the middle of Jersey Boys. With no explanation.
Honestly, crazy. And yes, take the time when you need it; it's just a show! (And you do it, what, 9000 more times? Come #4050 you'll be paying Marchuk to go on!) You're a pro, Madden...kudos and welcome back.

Anonymous said...

People get sick - it can't always be avoided but I was reading your "sickness blog" and getting nervous.....by our (2nd time) show date of Feb. 27, you'll be just fine. We saw you December 24th, and you and the entire show were wonderful! On Feb. 27th, we'll be watching you perform when your sick-week is but a distant memory, and we'll also be seeing the new Bob Gaudio, and the new Mary Delgado. Can't wait! Congratulations to you! It is evident that you enjoy what you're doing...that's part of what makes you sooo good!

Anonymous said...

Get well quick.
Really enjoy your blog.
Have seen the Touring Cast 4 times and very anxious to see the Canadian Cast as the reviews are
superb.
JB--What a show!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff:
Hope you and all your girls get well soon. Yes, I'd like to know what you have to do to get ready/warm up for the show.

JMR said...

Hi Jeff, just want to add my thanks for the posts and to wish you well in getting back to full health. Hopefully both of your families (home and JB) are also in much better shape.

Jeff Madden said...

Hi Everybody -
Thanks for the great comments.
I want you all to know I'm 100%! Tuesday Feb 10th show was fantastic!
And all the other sickies were back too! So it's alllllll good.
Keep those comments coming, and I'll write some more later, when I get a chance!
Cheers,
Jeff

denthe said...

Saw the show last night for the first time. From the front row. You were awesome. Would never know you'd been under the weather. Your performance is showstopping! And the show was very entertaining. Have u considered putting on a performance with full audience participation (like the Messiah does once a season). There's a lot of us out there who are secretly (and not so secretly) wishing we were you.

Anonymous said...

First off, I would love to read about your warm up routine before a show, it would be interesting to actually know about the practice and warm ups that go on before a show.

Also, regarding Frankie being the hardest part to sing in musical theater, it's probably true for guys. However, for girls there are some really tough roles out there, including Elphaba from Wicked.

From what I can tell, it's basically the female version of Frankie, you have to hit some really high notes (Defying Gravity, For Good), and some really low notes (The last note in I'm not that girl).

But yeah, Frankie's definitely the hardest role for a guy. And everybody get's sick, it's a fact of life, lol. But yeah, you handled it really well, and how you managed to joke about it even now is quite incredible, I would have lost it if I had been in your position. XD

I tried to sing once when I was sick, I had a solo in this opera thing, and I was sick as hell, but I really wanted to sing it. So, I go on, and halfway through the song, I croak. Yeah, not so good, lol.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff,
I'm interested in hearing about your training. Did you attend a musical theatre program (Sheridan or otherwise?) I'm also interested in hearing about the theatres you performed at prior to The Shaw Festival.
Blog-on with your great sense of humour!

1827 photography + design said...

Hi - I just saw tonight's show (Feb 19th) and I was absolutely blown away by your performance. It literally just ended, I walked the 7 minutes back to my house down the street from the Toronto Centre for the Performing Arts, and was raving about how much I loved the show! It is by far my favourite musical I have ever seen! I said I must check out your website and will definitely buy the soundtrack to Jersey Boys!
Outstanding!
Bravo!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeff!!
I saw the Jersey Boys show on Wednesday night (feb 18) and it was astounding!!! Your singing left me in awe... (my mother's eyes, my eyes adored you -- were one of my favs). It just made me wonder how much training and work went into your performance. I was so sad when the show ended! I bought the soundtrack...but of course I enjoy your crew's performance much much more!!! I hope to see it sometime again!

P.S. Glad to hear you and your kids are back to good shape. Stay healthy!

Anonymous said...

Wow ! Went to Friday night's show and couldn't believe your voice..amazing.

Favorite part was when you broke character after "Can't Take my Eyes Off of You".. We (the crowd) were just going crazy with whistles and applause and you cracked a couple of smiles :)

Jeff Madden said...

Thank you all very much for such a busy comment box.
Keep them coming - makes it more fun for everyone involved.
Since many of you are interested, I'll write a post about my warm-up routine and vocal exercises. And, to the commenter who asked about my training, no, I did not go to a "Theatre School". I studied privately while getting my Human Biology degree from U of T. Check out the BIO section of my website for more details. www.jeffmadden.ca
I'm so grateful for all your support, everybody.
Cheers!
Jeff