About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
A long-time Toronto-area Actor and Singer, Jeff Madden is now focusing on Teaching acting and singing in the GTA. Jeff starred as "Frankie Valli" in both the Toronto and Australian productions of JERSEY BOYS, winning the DORA award for outstanding performance in a musical by a male actor. Jeff is busy back at school, getting his MEd at U of T's OISE.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

G'Day Mate!


Hello from sunny Sydney Australia!

My epic 27-hour journey is over, I'm totally unpacked, and I'm reasonably over the jet-lag (he says optimisticly). In other words, I'm ready to rock and roll. Which is good timing, since my first rehearsal for JERSEY BOYS, SYDNEY starts tomorrow morning. Which for you back home is sometime yesterday afternoon ... -ish. I think. But don't quote me.

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone at Dodger Theatricals in New York and at Newtheatricals in Sydney who had a hand in giving me this opportunity. I am very blessed. Thank you all, very much.

As you can probably already tell, I'm super excited to be here. The city is so vibrant, the weather is amazing (sorry to you folks back home buried in the snow), and the locals are very welcoming. In fact, last night I had the chance to meet many members of the JB company at a roof-top bar just a few minutes walk away from the Sydney Harbour. Everyone was incredibly warm and welcoming to myself and to another new cast member joining the company here, Graham Fenton. They treated us like gold, and showed us that Aussie spirit.

A lot of you have wished me good luck and safe travels on Facebook and through email and I can't thank you enough for your kind sentiments. I think many of you are sending these wishes in light of the disasterous floods which have claimed the lives of nearly 20 people with more people still missing. However, I do want to point out to folks back home that these floods are happening at least 1000km away from Sydney, some to the North near Brisbane, and some to the South-West in Victoria. The recovery is going well, and it seems the water levels have stopped going up, which is a very good sign. In any case, Sydney has been spared, it seems. Knock on wood.

As for work, I'm excited to get back into the rehearsal hall. It's been almost five months since I've worked on JERSEY BOYS, with the closing of the Toronto production August 22, 2010. Although I played 'Frankie Valli' nearly 500 times, I'm sure it'll take a few weeks to get back into my body, due to the lenghty layoff. But, you never know, it could be sooner. Things can change pretty quickly in Jersey!

I'll be trying to write more frequently now that I'm Down Under. I may start using Twitter a bit more often too, so if you're interested, check it out. And Facebook seems to be the preferred way for everyone to keep in the loop. And of course, my website is another option. It's fun to keep connected to everyone back home!

Alright - till next time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to hear you are doing well, Jeff, you know how much all of us fans at home adore you and are excited for you. And, you never know, some of us superfans may just show up in Oz to see a show. God Bless. Sue U

Chiara said...

I have been thinking about you and your best girls. Glad to hear that you are in OZ for a few months on the Jersey stages. Lucky people in Australia! Do keep in touch in any means possible, twitter, your blog, etc. I am off facebook, my studies are too darn demanding! I will check your blog and the twitter feed! Break a leg in the land down under, hope they love you as much as we do in North America! I hope you will get many opportunities here in the USA in the future! Take care! Glad you are safe, stay safe! Cheers and Ciao!

Unknown said...

Hi Jeff,
I'm happy that you are attending to your website and blog again. You're such a strong writer. I missed it.
I also enjoy listening to your CD as I read and respond to your blog. That guy playing the congas on Taking the Wheel is pretty good.
Best of luck downunder. Mom and I are looking into seat sales to join you.

Anonymous said...

When will be your debut in Sydney?

Anonymous said...

Jeff, where are you debuting?
I'm on the Jersey Boys newsletter and read the Sydney portion and no mention made of you at all??

Oh, that local Fox guy is Nothing compared to you. I don't think you went down under to be an understudy as the present lead just doesn't have it.

Neither does the London, Vegas gang and the touring troupe, well they were here and thought they were good until DanCap rearranged the deck.

IMHO, the Broadway cast had Nothing on ours!

Keep in touch, PLS.