About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
A long-time Toronto-area Actor and Singer, Jeff Madden is now focusing on Teaching acting and singing in the GTA. Jeff starred as "Frankie Valli" in both the Toronto and Australian productions of JERSEY BOYS, winning the DORA award for outstanding performance in a musical by a male actor. Jeff is busy back at school, getting his MEd at U of T's OISE.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Taking The What???

So, you may be wondering what the heck 'Taking The Blog' means. And, you would not be alone. I think it's out there, myself.

But, bear with me for a moment.

As some of you may know, I am in the midst of producing my debut CD, entitled "Taking The Wheel". It's the title of one of the tracks on the CD, too, written by American theatre songwriter John Bucchino. I chose it as the title of the CD, in part because it's a great, fun song to sing (and also to listen to, I hope...) but mostly because of the metaphor of the lyric. The chorus goes like this:

"I've been in the back seat long enough, tagging along for the ride. I've been in the back seat long enough to know
That you never get what you deserve if you never can decide. There's only one way to get to where you want to go.
Throwing down the pencil and grabbing a pen. Taking the wheel, driving again.
Throwing down the pencil and writing in ink: This is how I feel. This is what I think.
Dreaming again, and making those dreams real. Taking the Wheel."

I don't know about you, but to some degree, I felt as if I was not fully in control of the direction of my career. (That's a topic for another whole blog I'm sure.) As an actor, you have very little control over where you work, which projects you work on, or whether you work at all. And, although I'm extremely grateful and fortunate to be one of the lucky ones, I still feel somewhat like I plopped my little dingy down (you did WHAT?!?!?) in the middle of the Niagara River, and although I can steer it a bit from side to side, I ain't never gonna change the path of the river. It's taking me.

That being the case, I felt that it was time to do something that I could control! To do something I had always dreamt of doing! To be in charge of not only my dingy (and who isn't, really), but the river, too! At least for one project, anyway. And that project became the biggest pain in the ass I've ever .... No, no, no, I'm kidding. It's been great. And continues to bring me joy every day. But, the point is, I knew exactly what John Bucchino was writing about in his song. I was there, myself. That's why I knew I had to name my CD "Taking The Wheel".

Now, if that ain't the most boring speech you'll ever hear...

So, I told you that story to tell you this one. The CD led to the website jeffmadden.ca, and the website led to this blog. So, 'Taking The Blog' makes total sense in my world. How about you?

Let me know what you think about all this shhhtuff. Have you ever felt like you weren't in control of your career, or your life in general? I'd love to hear what you think. Hit the comment link below, and share.

Until next time...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As our good friend George (Michael)would say:
"Be good to yourself, because nobody else has the power to make you happy".
Smart man that George.
I totally try to live by that -- by it's not always easy.

My toughest time was right after both (back) surgeries. So much pain, very little mobility, no control. But I did my best and learned that you can always make something good out of a less than ideal situation.

Kudos to you for 'Taking the Wheel' or 'The Blog' - or just 'Taking' for yoursef in general. I think it's very wise and very brave.

Love the blog :)
love,moe

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Jeff on everything you have been doing in the past few months. I know that it was a massive undertaking, and now adding a website and blog to the mix!!! You are a brave man to tackle all of these projects, especially with a new baby who must be keeping you extremely busy.

I wish you nothing but the best with all of these extraordinary steps, and congrats on it all!

Love
Kerrie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the love, ladies.

You were and are still a real trooper, Moe.

And, Kerrie, you too! Anyone who has to put up with DeSouza on a daily basis - phew! (Kidding!) You've already got him where you want him!

All the best to you both.

Pittsburgh Theater Fanatic said...

Congratulations Jeff! You're doing a tremendous job on your website and blog. It will be a great way for your fans to see what you are up to, to get some insight into how you are doing and what you are thinking, and to provide you with some support and encouragement. On behalf of your fans everywhere, THANKS!

Taking on these two new projects while you are still wrapping up your first CD, getting into the Shaw Festival season, and having a very young daughter at home is really impressive. Hopefully, you are already at the stage where you can once again sleep all night.

I'm really looking forward to the new season at the Shaw Festival and your performances in "Mack & Mabel" and "Tristan", and wish you all the best.

Jeff Madden said...

Wow - thanks for the vote of confidence. It's been a busy time, yes, but a tremendously fulfilling one too. I hope you'll get a chance to come up and see some shows this season... and bring your contingent of theatre fanatics too!
Jeff
:)