About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
A long-time Toronto-area Actor and Singer, Jeff Madden is now focusing on Teaching acting and singing in the GTA. Jeff starred as "Frankie Valli" in both the Toronto and Australian productions of JERSEY BOYS, winning the DORA award for outstanding performance in a musical by a male actor. Jeff is busy back at school, getting his MEd at U of T's OISE.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Three-Day Weekend


I just enjoyed a nice three-day weekend.

Huh, you say? This is particularly notable because during the season at Shaw, we actors usually only get 1 or 2 three-day weekends in 8 months. In fact, you could count the number of two-day weekends we get per season on one hand. Our typical work week is 6 days long, with Monday being the only day off. (You'd have to be out of your mind to come to the theatre on a Monday! Jeez, what's with you, Man?) So, when your family is off to the cottage on Saturday and Sunday, we're off to the theatre for a four-show weekend. And then we scramble to get a week's worth of errands done on our lone day off. That's the way it works just about everywhere in the theatre biz. Insert sorrowful violins here. As my dad would say,
" What -- and quit showbiz???"

Well, it just so happens that. this season, my schedule is quite free. I'm only doing the one show (Mack and Mabel - book your tix now!) right now, and my second show (Tristan - book your tix now!) doesn't start rehearsing for another 2 weeks. Which means, no rehearsals right now. Which means back to back three-day weekends! AAAAAHHHhhhhhhhhh.

So what did I do with all this free time, you ask? Did I go to New York City and see fabulous theatre and galleries as 2 of my co-workers did? Did I bust off to Toronto for 3 days of debauchery? Well, not exactly...

I set up my WEB SITE and BLOG! And then I shamefully sent out about 3 millions emails. (Feed that ego, Madden). I drove my inlaws to the Buffalo airport at 4am! (Don't ask). I spent 42 hours on Facebook (if you haven't signed up yet, I'm warning you, you will learn the true meaning of addiction). I did the groceries. I started an exercise program. I caught some sports on the tube (Sabres and Sharks in the Stanley Cup, that's my bet). I played with my girl(s). And I heard 3 tracks of my CD, after being mixed (sounds good!). Hmm, that's a lot more than I thought!

So, I start the work week afresh tomorrow (Ahh, Hump-day!) at 10:15 with a voice class, then a matinee. I'm even going to catch the Jays-Red Sox game tomorrow night with my brother-in-law at the Dome. Go Jays Go! It's a rough life, I know.

Have a good one, and hey, it's only 33 days until the May 24 Weekend. Plan that three-day weekend now!

No comments: