About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
A long-time Toronto-area Actor and Singer, Jeff Madden is now focusing on Teaching acting and singing in the GTA. Jeff starred as "Frankie Valli" in both the Toronto and Australian productions of JERSEY BOYS, winning the DORA award for outstanding performance in a musical by a male actor. Jeff is busy back at school, getting his MEd at U of T's OISE.

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Wonderful Shaw

Greetings to my Taking The Blog devotees! I trust you have all had exciting winters and like me, have come out of hibernation full of energy, ready to Take the Wheel of your lives yet again. Here’s the latest news from all things Madden.

Well, we are already one month into my current season at the Shaw Festival. That’s number eight, for all of you counting out there. Seriously, time does fly when you’re having fun. As I mentioned on a previous blog post, this season I will appear in the musicals Wonderful Town and A Little Night Music.
Wonderful Town starts preview performances in two weeks, and we’ve been busy putting the show together in the rehearsal hall. And so far, things have definitely been Wonderful. With a capital W. (Insert snap here.) The show tells the story of two sisters from Ohio who leave their humdrum lives at home to “make it” in New York City, circa 1935. One is a plain-looking writer, one is a pretty actress, and they meet all sorts of interesting people (read: nut bars that only exist in Musicals, of which I play one) as they gradually succeed in their endeavors.

I must admit, upon first reading the script last year, the show seemed a bit ... oh, I don’t know... bland. But, let me tell you, I was wrong! To me, the show is a perfect afternoon or evenings diversion, full of heart, warmth, and generosity of spirit. I can’t imagine an audience member not enjoying him/herself, not smiling, or not getting on board inside the first half hour. After that, though, its complete crap -- No! Just kidding. It’s just a really sweet show, sure to please the crowds.

Rehearsals started as they always do at Shaw with a focus on learning the music. Although I had not heard any of the tunes before, I was surprised at the number of beautiful melodies and gorgeous harmonies, fitting together perfectly with the witty lyrics. For you Shaw history buffs (or, basically for you, Mom and Dad, who come to every show I’m in 23 times), Wonderful Town lyricists Comden and Green also wrote the lyrics for Shaw’s unforgettable 2003 production of On the 20th Century. Who could forget the image of Bridget Robinson’s religious wing nut hanging on for dear life to the front of the train? Wonderful Town’s Music composer is Leonard Bernstein, the composer of West Side Story’s classic score. Who could forget seeing me onstage with the ballet at the Opera House this past winter doing West Side Story Suite? Oh dear, the ballet. My woo-woo still has the boo-boo from the tu-tu. But I digress...

Back to the program. The other great joy so far has been playing Frank Lippencott, the manager of the Walgreen’s drugstore on 44th Street. Frank is the type of guy who, upon first meeting is totally normal and sweet, the kind you’d bring home to Mom. Then, as you get to know him, you find out he’s a FREAK! My, how I have embraced my inner geek, my inner klutz, my inner awkwardness. I know what you’re all thinking... Inner? My ass! I am an awkward geeky klutz! Huh... What do you know anyway?

So, yeah, that’s about it for now. Do plan on coming to see Wonderful Town this summer - it’ll only play 643 times, so book ahead!!! And when you do come, please send me a note either before your trip or during the show. I always like to know who’s in the crowd. There will be more updates to come, as we get into previews of Wonderful Town and rehearsals of A Little Night Music. You can count on me to keep you posted.

3 comments:

xine says said...

Alas still no post about a new baby!
Hope everyone is doing well and that Syndey is ready to meet her new little sister...

Jeff Madden said...

Lord knows I'm doing everything I can, but the sausage is still in the oven. There will be a post when the time comes, rest assured.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeff, Happy to hear that all is well with you! Congrats to you & Christine on the (imminent?) arrival of your little one. I hope to make it down to Shaw this season and will look you up while I'm there... say hi to all, and all the best! ~Whitney