About Me

My photo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
A long-time Toronto-area Actor and Singer, Jeff Madden is now focusing on Teaching acting and singing in the GTA. Jeff starred as "Frankie Valli" in both the Toronto and Australian productions of JERSEY BOYS, winning the DORA award for outstanding performance in a musical by a male actor. Jeff is busy back at school, getting his MEd at U of T's OISE.

Monday, April 6, 2009

Proper Perspective

DRAINING
This past week was a rough one for me and the family.

My eldest daughter Sydney got sick again, for the fourth time this winter. She caught the flu this time, and being 2.5 yrs old, this meant she needed round the clock care. Vomiting, high fever, diarrhea, you get the picture. Which makes it difficult for my wife and I, because her one-year-old sister Emily still needs round the clock care, too.

Since flu in a one-year-old could be very serious, with dehydration being a major concern, we tried to keep the girls apart as much as possible. So, either one or both of us were up with the girls several times a night. Thank goodness we had Christine's Mom Ilse help out doing the occasional overnight baby duty. And it worked, to an extent. Emily didn't get the flu, just some light fever and a bit of a cold. And as of today, Sydney seems to be back to normal. We're almost through it. Phew.

As any parents of young children will tell you, even with healthy kids it's a struggle to get things done properly or on time. When they're sick, it can be a nightmare. Schedules go out the window, and you get into survival mode. So, nothing got done this week. Nothing.

Personally, I could feel that as the week wore on, I was fighting the flu off, too. From the occasional queezy stomach, to occasionally seeing stars, I could feel it coming on. I was sure I was winning the fight until Sunday afternoon's matinee. My legs were jello, my hands were cold and clammy, and I had no strength. Luckily my voice was ok, and I made it, but I seriously don't know how I got through the show. When I got home, I immediately crashed - I mean it - no dinner, just fell into a deep sleep at 6pm! I've spent at least 15 hours asleep since then. It's the weirdest feeling. I just hope I'll be OK in time for tomorrow night's show.

DEMANDING
The biggest challenge I face right now is balancing the demands of being a father with the demands of playing Frankie Valli in Jersey Boys. It's ironic, that when I have the single most challenging role of my life, I have the least energy left over to do it!

To perform optimally, I've discovered (the hard way) that I need at least 6 hours of sleep and a light physical and vocal warm-up mid-day. On top of proper nutrition and supplements of course. If not, the show is like running up a mountain for 2.5 hours. It can be done, but not to my standards.

UNDERSTANDING
Christine is incredibly understanding and supportive of my needs, and I do my best to give her as much of my time as I can afford to help with the kids and errands. She is an incredible woman, and an amazing mother. And being home with my kids during the days - even when they're sick - is an amazing experience. Playing with them, watching them grow and learn, struggle and fall, it's incredible.

Even though it's hard right now, I've got to remind myself - I'm a really lucky guy. I'm living the life I always wanted to have. I've got a great wife, great family and a great job. What else could anyone ask for?

********
GOOD NEWS
Jersey Boys has been extended again till June 28th, 2009.

Call DANCAP at 416-644-3665 or 1-866-950-SHOW to book your tickets.
So, make sure to plan your trip, bring your friends, and come see the hottest show in town. Just remember, I only do the EVENING shows and the SUNDAY matinee.

5 comments:

Angie in T.O. said...

Sorry to read about your daughter being sick, sounds like you and Christine make an awesome team raising them. Taking care of yourself is important too, not just for the show, but for your family. I think you get that though.

Glad to hear the show got extended!! I'm coming back on May 2nd, and am really looking forward to it. I'm telling anyone who will listen to go see it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff,
Glad to see you're posting again because the blog had sort of lost its momentum between your March 2 and March 29 posts. We know you hope to blog when time permits, that you enjoy your Frankie job, and your daddy job.....those things are all great but you just get exhausted .....that's understood. Glad to hear that the show was extended again....to your credit!

Stephanie Ciccarelli said...

Hi Jeff,

I know where you are coming from! It is hard when the kids get sick and it is lovely to hear that you and Christine were able to get through and devote so much time and energy to helping them get better. Being a parent is a real journey!

Congrats on the show extension.

Take care,

Stephanie

ReneP said...

Hi Jeff,

Sorry to hear about the flu affecting you and your family. I hope that as the days go by, you and your little ones will get better and much stronger.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff,
I am a school teacher and at the beginning of this year I got sick numerous times. I suggest taking Cold FX. It's been a miracle worker and since I've been taking two pills a day, I have not been sick once. It works!